How is a Tire Installed?
December 26th, 2019
For the safety and performance of your vehicle, your tires should be installed by an expert technician. Proper installation enables your tires to function fully and provides maximum safety. On average, a tire installation takes about 45 minutes to an hour. After you have selected the right tires for your vehicle, your tires will be expertly installed. A proper installation includes:
- Inspecting the lugs or wheel bolts
- Installing new rubber valve stems where applicable
- Mounting the tires
- Balancing the new tires on your wheels
- Tightening the wheel lugs to the manufacturer recommended torque
- Servicing TPMS systems
The Steps to Install a New Set of Tires
When your tires are being replaced your, a tire technician uses a step-by-step procedure to properly mount your new tires unto your vehicle.
- The vehicle is placed on a mount to lift off the ground.
- The technician will unbolt the lug nuts on each wheel in a counter clockwise direction starting with the left front so that the wheels are removed from the vehicle.
- The tires will then be deflated by unscrewing the valve stem core; if new tires are being installed, the stem in pulled out and a new one is installed.
- A tire machine removes the tires from the rim.
- The rims are checked to make sure they are perfectly smooth with no rust or rough patches.
- To remove rough patches, abrasive pads are used the smooth the inner and outer parts of the rim. Too much damage to a rim will cause an unbalanced wheel. So, if rims are rusted they need to be replaced.
- Tire bead lubricant is applied to the tire beads and the rim which allows the bead to have the tires sit well on the rims.
- Using the tire machine, the new tires are installed on the rims.
- Tires are inflated to their maximum pressure based on vehicle manufacturer specifications and a stem core is installed.
- Tires will then be balanced and reinstalled onto the vehicle.
An alignment is also recommended so that your new tires don’t wear unevenly. Proper tire installation is very important so that your car is safe and reliable. A proper tire installation should be done by an expert tire technician. Your tires play an important part in the safety and dependability of your vehicle, keep them well maintained and working effectively. Visit us to have your next set of tires installed by our expert tire technicians!
Posted in: Tires 101